Wednesday, March 6, 2013

WIP Wednesday and Free Patterns!



Here it is Wednesday again! Hope your day is starting out on a positive note!


Here, we are digging out of 10 inches of snow! Yes, the weatherman hit it right on the nose this time!
So I am going to post this quickly and go grab my snow shovel as the snow plow has been through my little street and plowed that snow pretty high in my drive. I think it will be a late arrival at work today!

Just for fun - I love this pic of a what looks like a quilt pattern in the snow. A man named Simon Beck makes these geometric patterns only by using snowshoes, no machines involved. Check out his snow art here. There is a link to his Facebook page too! We work in the medium of fabric and he works in snow! Life is interesting, and full of possibilities.

As mentioned last week, I am attending Sew South (a sewing retreat) in a couple of weeks and there is some prep to complete before class begins -- yes we have homework! This week has been all about fabric and planning -- here are some of the goodies I ordered for the classes that have arrived this week! Can't wait to see how it all comes together. We will be making a duffle bag, clutch purses, a pair of PJ bottoms . I am also participating in a Secret Sewing Sister game (like Secret Santa at Christmas) FQ swap and a Sample swap -- such fun! So stay tuned to see how these lovely fabrics turn out.




And an update on the block front:


Look at this lovely!  I am queen bee for my hive for March and this is from Julie in my Magnum P.I. Hive in the Modern Stash Bee.(Yes this is all about stash and Tom Sellecks great 'stache is our mascot ;) Gorgeous! And this is a March block - she is so speedy! Can't wait to see the others from my awesome hive mates - this is going to grow up and  be a quilt for my guest bedroom..
















And this is my Paper Pieced block for the Sugar Block Club. This is the February block and while not perfect, I am happy with the colors and majority of points. I did have to rip out the pinwheels in the middle once and do have an oops! on one of the points where it is just a hair short, but hopefully that will be hidden in the seam allowance once the the top is pieced! I am getting more comfortable with the paper piecing. It still takes a few minutes to rearrange my brain and think about the process but I really enjoy the results! How about you- do you paper piece? What are your favorite patterns?

 And finally here are three free quilt patterns for you!

Here is the link: http://www.mccallsquilting.com/free-modern-quilt-patterns

They are from McCalls Quilting and Quick Quilts. They are easy and rated for beginner level. So if you are new to quilting and looking for an easy project, one of these may be for you! And if you are experienced, who doesn't love an easy, quick pattern for a baby gift or after you have been working on a more difficult project! These quilts use strips, half square triangles and QAYG (Quilt As You Go) techniques - something that is on my list of things to try!

Well, off to see my favorite snow shovel and play in the snow! Many schools have closed in the time it took to make this post -- I would bet lots of sledding and snowmen to come today :)

Happy Stitching! Linking up with Lee over at Freshly Pieced.
Ginny




3 comments:

  1. Love your Bee blocks. Great colour combos and looking very neat. I'm absolutely awed by the snow art pic, though! How cool is that? Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get out of your drive safely today Ginny, the snow art is amazing. I never realised such a thing existed but you live and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! Look at all of your cool blocks. I do love some paper piecing. It can't be beat for helping out with accuracy. Thanks for stopping by WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment! I love hearing from you!