Wednesday, February 15, 2012

$12.99/yd Really????

Wow, have you been out fabric shopping, stash building lately?

Two weeks ago a friend and I went to a couple of premium quilt shops for a Pajama day sale (you know the sales where we dress up in PJ's and look silly to get the discount and have fun while the guys are worrying about the biggest TV for the biggest football game). Anyway we had so much fun and the sales were 20% and 30% off.

In one store all the bolts of fabric were marked 11.95/yd with 30% off. Another store they were 8.99 to 9.99/yd with 20% off. I had seen up to 10.95/yd before but was shocked at the increase (in every bolt of fabric even though most of it was not brand new) to 11.95. And I was thanking my lucky stars for all that stash I have--bought at lower prices. But then today rolled around.....

I went to the local JoAnns to pick up a new rotary cutter blade and stopped by to look at the Denyse Schmidt fabric I had been wanting. It was on sale at 25% off of 9.99/yd. Pretty standard over the last few months... But then I spied some new Denyse Schmidt fabric - a grey and an orange line and I thought great I will just pick up a little of each....well it was marked 12.99/yard! Really--$12.99 at JoAnns??? Now I suppose that sounds snobby, and I know that cotton has gone up and thus fabric is more expensive, and I know everyone has to make a profit to stay in business but really $12.99/yard? Last year fabric was 8.99 going up to 9.99.  I am sorry but I it will have to be something pretty special for me to pay that. What are your thoughts on this? Are the prices the same in your area?  Do you buy fabric at JoAnns, or specialty quilt shops or on line?  Or all at all 3?

2 comments:

  1. My 2 local quilt shops have gone out of business this year, probably because I couldn't bring myself to spend the $12/yard prices. I shop at joAnns or online now. It is hard to beat their coupon program. 40% off a regular priced cut, or since they rotate their sale signs, you usually only have to wait a week until the fabric you want is at least 30% off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, I know what you mean. I do use the coupons religously and shop the sales, and I have begun to seriously shop online this year especially if there is free shipping....I try to support the smaller local stores but wow I was in sticker shock...I would rather skip the coupon and just have a lower reg price. thanks for the comment

      Delete

Thanks for the comment! I love hearing from you!